AM TO PM: CLEVERLY’S OPPONENT; KHAN TO STAY AT 140; DIRRELL COULD FIGHT IN UK; FROCH AND BUTE BOTH EAGER FOR REMATCH.


Every day, FightHype UK produces a daily edition of ‘AM to PM’ so fight fans around the world can catch up with any news they may have missed.

Sometimes it is hard when you have a busy day to keep up to date with what is going on in the boxing world, so we will highlight the main stories from around the world for you to have a browse and keep up to date.

Read on for today’s most notable headlines.

 

CLEVERLY TO FIGHT HAWK
Nathan Cleverly will defend his WBO world light-heavyweight crown against Shawn Hawk at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles this weekend – featuring on the undercard of the highly anticipated bout between Abner Mares and Anselmo Moreno. Cleverly was originally set to meet Ryan Coyne, but Coyne had to withdraw from the bout due to contractual problems.

MURRAY HOPING TO PUT HIMSELF BACK INTO WORLD TITLE PICTURE
Lightweight John Murray, who is set to to do battle with Gavin Rees on December 8th in London, is hoping a win over the former 140lb world champion will elevate him back into the frame for another chance to fight for a world title. “This fight means that I can put everything behind me and get back up there into world title contention,” he said in an interview with Boxing Scene. Murray has lost his last two – both by stoppage – to Kevin Mitchell and Brandon Rios. By defeating Rees, Murray is hopeful of potentially securing a fight with WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns. “I’m very confident of getting the win then moving on. I’ve got to win it, then who knows, I could get another world title shot because Ricky Burns is with Frank Warren and that fight could get made,” Murray said.

KHAN TO STAY AT 140
Amir Khan, who returns to the ring on December 15th against Carlos Molina, will put off plans to move up to the welterweight division so that he can pursue a rematch with WBA and WBC world light-welterweight champion Danny Garcia. Khan lost their first fight via fourth round TKO, but he is eager to prove that he is the better fighter. “I’m going to stay at 140 to secure this fight with Danny Garcia. I know that I’m a better fighter than him. In that fight we made a mistake and I had to pay for it. I know the one mistake I made and that’s why I really want to make that fight happen again,” Khan told Boxing Scene.

FROCH EAGER FOR BUTE REMATCH
After seeing Lucian Bute’s performance against Denis Grachev this past Saturday, Carl Froch – the man who defeated Lucian Bute earlier this year – is hoping that Bute’s team take the contracted rematch. “He’s got the win and done what he needed to do to re-establish himself. Now I’m hoping the rematch will happen. As a team, we’re hoping he takes the fight so I can go out there and give him another pasting,” Froch told Sky Sports. “It’s not a really daunting prospect to go over to Montreal and face Bute. This is someone I’ve beaten before and I’m very confident.” 

BUTE HAPPY WITH VICTORY
On reflecting on his win over Denis Grachev, the former IBF super-middleweight champion was happy with the victory. “I was a little tense. It was a tough battle and I’m happy with my performance overall. I had before me a very tough opponent and I’m glad I went twelve rounds. I really needed that,” he said. Like Carl Froch, Bute is also eager for a rematch to take place. “Since May, for me, it’s clear that I want a rematch against Carl Froch. It may take place in March of next year, and if it does I’ll be happy. I can not wait to get back in the ring,” Bute said.

BUTE’S TRAINER ADMITS STILL WORK TO BE DONE
Lucian Bute’s trainer, Stephane Larouche, has admitted that there is still work to be done ahead of a proposed rematch with Carl Froch. Bute defeated Denis Grachev on Saturday night via unanimous decision, but it wasn’t a stellar performance. “Lucian found a way to win, but it was not perfect. With the kind of defeat that Lucian suffered in May, he went very far. I liked what I saw. We still have work to do before returning against Froch in March,” Larouche said.

DENTON VASSELL COULD FIGHT RONNIE HEFFRON
Current Commonwealth welterweight champion Denton Vassell could be set to defend his belt against fellow unbeaten welterweight Ronnie Heffron. The fight would take place on November 30th in Manchester, featuring on the undercard of cricketer-turned-boxer Freddie Flintoff’s professional debut. Vassell’s trainer, Bob Shannon, confirmed that his fighter has been offered the fight. “I’m delighted about this fight,” Shannon told Boxing Scene. “Denton’s been offered the fight and has said he wants it, so let’s go.”

DIRRELL COULD BE ADDED TO WARREN’S DECEMBER 15TH CARD
Super-middleweight contender Andre Dirrell could be added to Frank Warren’s Christmas show on December 15th in London. Already featuring on that card is Ricky Burns, George Groves and Billy Joe Saunders, and Dirrell would no doubt boost the popularity of that night even further. On his ring return, in an interview with Chris Robinson (@CRHarmony), he said: “December 15, we’re looking at England surprisingly. That’s the call. That’s the call so far. I believe it’s on George Groves’ undercard. It would be a Showtime card, that’s what I’m hearing. It’s a TV date, I’m happy, I’m ready to fight, ready to go. I’m hoping December 15 comes through, so I can get this thing rolling.”

ANDRE WARD TALKS PAVLIK
Super-middleweight king Andre Ward, who could be set to face former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik early next year, believes that despite Pavlik’s well documented personal problems he would still present a worthy challenge. “It’s like, Kelly Pavlik, some people may balk about the fight and say, ‘He’s finished,’ but I know better than that. Bob Arum has done a great job of keeping Kelly busy…and you can believe that a former world champion like Kelly Pavlik, with him getting another shot at the title, he’s going to be prime and ready. We’re going to be ready, and it’s going to be a tremendous show,” Ward said in an interview with Boxing Scene. 

GUERRERO READY TO DO A NUMBER ON BERTO
Interim WBC world welterweight champion Robert Guerrero is gearing up for his November 24th clash with former IBF champion Andre Berto, and Guerrero is ready to put on a show and dish out a beating. “I believe I can knock him out. I ain’t looking for the knockout but if it happens it happens. Like I said before, I’m coming to beat him down. I’ll be glad if it goes 12 rounds because I want to send this guy home hurting. Damaged. That’s what boxing’s about; putting beatings on people and that’s what I’m going to do,” Guerrero said in an interview with Boxing Scene. 

CHAVEZ SR. WON’T BE PART OF CHAVEZ JR’S. CAMP
Former WBC world middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has revealed that his father, Chavez Sr., will not be in his camp when he next prepares for a fight. “He can not be in camps with me because he wants things done in the same manner as he did when he was fighting, and each person is different,” Chavez Jr. said.

Leave a Reply

*
JULY 31, 2014
JULY 30, 2014
JULY 29, 2014
JULY 28, 2014
JULY 27, 2014
JULY 26, 2014
JULY 25, 2014