AM TO PM: HATTON TO FIGHT SENCHENKO; MARTINEZ WANTS MAYWEATHER; DEGALE’S OPPONENT; KHAN-MCCLOSKEY REMATCH;


Every day, FightHype UK produces a daily edition of ‘AM to PM’ so fight fans around the world can catch up with any news they may have missed.

Sometimes it is hard when you have a busy day to keep up to date with what is going on in the boxing world, so we will highlight the main stories from around the world for you to have a browse and keep up to date.

Read on for today’s most notable headlines.

HATTON TO FIGHT SENCHENKO
Ricky Hatton today announced that he will fight former WBA world welterweight champion Vyacheslav Senchenko on November 24th at the MEN Arena in Manchester. This will be Hatton’s first fight since a loss to Manny Pacquiao back in 2009.

UNDERCARD FOR HATTON-SENCHENKO
As well as announcing his opponent for his comeback, Hatton also announced three undercard fights that will provide the support for the main event. Scott Quigg will take on Rendall Munroe in a rematch of their bout earlier this year – which ended in a draw after Munroe suffered a cut in round 3. Also in action will be Sergey Rabchenko defending his European light-middleweight title against Cedric Vitu, and Gary Buckland makes the second defence of his British super-featherweight title against Stephen Foster Jr.. Middleweight contender Martin Murray, Adam Etches, James Dickens, Scott Jenkins and Ryan Burnett are also on the card, with their opponents to be named in the coming weeks.

JAMES DEGALE’S NEXT OPPONENT
European super-middleweight champion James DeGale returns to the ring on October 13th against French champion Hadillah Mohoumadi. This will be James’ second fight of 2012, second defence of his European belt and his first fight under his new promotional banner, Hennessy Sports. The fight is set to take place at Glow in Bluewater, Kent.

KHAN COULD REMATCH MCCLOSKEY
Amir Khan is set to return to the ring in December after his most recent loss to Danny Garcia, and it’s believed a rematch with former European light-welterweight champion Paul McCloskey could be on the horizon. “An approach has been made by Amir’s team to fight Paul in December,” Eddie Hearn, McCloskey’s promoter, told World Boxing News. The first fight ended in a technical decision victory for Khan after the bout was stopped due to a cut McCloskey suffered.

BUTLER-DONNELLY SET FOR NOVEMBER 9TH
Paul Butler and John Donnelly will face off on November 9th at the Olympia in Liverpool for the vacant British super-flyweight title. It’s an all Merseyside clash and both men are confident of victory. “I want to pick up where I left off in the Sexton fight and get hold of that Lonsdale belt,” said Butler. Donnelly, meanwhile, said: “I will win the fight, I will be British champion and beat Paul, I know I’ve got the edge on him.” 

SMITH TO RETURN TO ACTION
After a 2nd round TKO loss to George Groves late last year, former British super-middleweight champion Paul Smith makes his return to the ring on November 9 in Liverpool, featuring on the undercard of Paul Butler vs. John Donnelly. Smith will be scheduled for 10 rounds against an opponent to be announced, and he hopes a win can set up another shot at a British title. “…They [the BBBoC] have confirmed that I’ll be slotted in as the mandatory for the winner [of Kenny Anderson vs. Robin Reid],” said Smith. Paul Smith’s younger brother, Liam, is also on the card, fighting Gary McMillan in a British light-middleweight title eliminator.

SALIDO OUT OF GARCIA FIGHT
Orlando Salido has withdrawn from his proposed WBO world featherweight title defence against Mikey Garcia after suffering a broken index finger. Salido, according to his camp, will be out for four to six weeks, and wants to reschedule the fight for January 2013.

MARTINEZ WANTS MAYWEATHER
After disposing of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. earlier this month, newly crowned WBC world middleweight champion Sergio Martinez has set his sights on fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr.. Martinez rates Mayweather as the best, but believes he has the tools necessary to beat him. “He is certainly the best. But this does not mean that I won’t win if I confront him. I want that fight more than anything else,” said Martinez. While admitting he wants a lucrative fight with Mayweather, Martinez thinks his next fight will be a rematch with Chavez Jr. “My next opponent for the title is probably Chavez.” 

ARCE AFTER MARTINEZ
Four-weight world champion Jorge Arce is targeting a championship fight against WBO world super-featherweight champion Roman Martinez. Martinez, a two-time world champion, won the belt on the undercard of Chavez vs. Martinez against Miguel Beltran Jr. via split-decision. “The idea is to go for our sixth world title in a different weight division on December 8 against Martinez. I hope that it gets confirmed,” Arce told BoxingScene.com. 

ABRAHAM BACK IN DECEMBER
Arthur Abraham returns to the ring on December 15, making the first defence of his WBO world super-middleweight title, which he won via decision against Robert Stieglitz at the end of August. His opponent is yet to be announced.

Leave a Reply

*
APRIL 17, 2014
APRIL 16, 2014
APRIL 15, 2014