Sometimes it is hard when you have a busy day to keep up to date with what is going on in the boxing world, so we will highlight the main stories from around the world for you to have a browse and keep up to date.
Read on for today’s most notable headlines.
HEARN ON BROOK-ALEXANDER
Matchroom Sport chief Eddie Hearn believes that should Kell Brook emerge victorious from his IBF world welterweight title challenge against Devon Alexander, reportedly set to take place in January next year, then it will set Brook up for even bigger fights in the future. “Kell wants to make a statement,” Hearn said. “He’s served his apprenticeship, he’s filled arena’s in Sheffield, got to the mandatory position and now it’s time to take a punt, and what a big punt. He’s a great fighter, Alexander, and if you beat him, you set yourself up as a superstar and for some mega fights, so that’s why we’re taking it.”
HEARN BELIEVES BROOK-KHAN HAS TO HAPPEN
Amir Khan and Kell Brook have made no secret of their dislike for one another, and Brook’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, believes that the fight has to happen for the British public. “Kell wants to fight Amir Khan so badly, but you have to tell him that can happen down the line,” Hearn said. “I saw Amir Khan come out and say ‘if Kell wins a title I’ll fight him.’ It’s not his decision. If we win the title, we’ll decide and dictate on our terms. Khan and Kell are great fighters, it’s one the British public want to see and it has to happen.
FROCH THINKS FIGHTING WARD IS MORE LIKELY THAN KESSLER
IBF world super-middleweight champion Carl Froch, who defends his title this Saturday against American Yusaf Mack in Nottingham, believes a rematch with Andre Ward is more likely to happen than a rematch with Mikkel Kessler. “I spoke to Kessler on the phone and I said let’s get a fight on but he changed the subject and asked me how my mum was. The fight with Ward will happen because he’s got nowhere to go,” Froch told The Daily Star.
MACK CONFIDENT AHEAD OF FROCH FIGHT
Yusaf Mack is confident of an upset victory this weekend when he takes on Carl Froch for Froch’s IBF crown. “I just want to prove I’m a world champion. I’ve been there before and fell short. I will reach my goal this time to be world champion,” Mack said. “Once Froch feels my power, he’ll respect me. He won’t be rushing in fighting a bigger, stronger guy like me. I’m going to out-slick him like [Andre] Ward did.”
SCHAEFER: HOPKINS-CLEVERLY IS POSSIBLE
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer believes a fight between Bernard Hopkins and WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly is possible for next year. “There is a good possibility Bernard could fight Nathan. I’ve had some very interesting conversations with Nathan’s promoter Frank Warren and Bernard is open to that possibility,” Schaefer told BBC Sport.
CARSON JONES DOESN’T THINK PURDY WILL LAST SIX ROUNDS
Welterweight Carson Jones, who lost a close decision to Kell Brook earlier this year, believes that he will defeat Lee Purdy in six rounds or less when they meet in London on December 8th. “I don’t see the fight versus Purdy going more than six rounds,” Jones told Boxing Scene. Jones also stated that he would be happy to continue fighting in the UK after this bout. “I’m focused on Purdy but if they want to talk about more fights out there afterwards I would listen. The fans in the UK have been real good,” he said.
RODRIGUEZ REPORTEDLY TURNED DOWN GOLOVKIN
Super-middleweight prospect Edwin Rodriguez has reportedly turned down a $500,000 payday to face WBA and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, according to Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez. “…I was told that Edwin Rodriguez turned down a $500,000 payday to face him. That’s a lot of money. Nobody wants to face this guy right now but that will change as Gennady gets more exposure here in the US,” Sanchez told Boxing Scene.
Former WBC world super-bantamweight champion Toshiaki Nishioka has announced his retirement from the sport. “I have done what I should do. I am fully satisfied with my boxing career,” Nishioka announced at a press conference in Tokyo. Nishioka was stopped in nine rounds in his last fight against Nonito Donaire.
KLITSCHKO BACK IN MARCH
Wladimir Klitschko, who successfully defended his heavyweight titles this past Saturday against Mariusz Wach, will return to the ring in March next year. Possible opponents include Denis Boytsov who recently pulled out of a fight with Tyson Fury, and WBA ‘regular’ champion Alexander Povetkin.
BOGERE OUT OF ABRIL FIGHT
Unbeaten lightweight Sharif Bogere has had to withdraw from his world title bout against Richard Abril on November 24th. Bogere has suffered a partial tear on his left Achilles tendon and is expected to be out of action for about four-to-six weeks. Discussions are ongoing to reschedule the bout.
LOPEZ BACK IN MARCH
Josesito Lopez is planning on returning to the ring in March next year. Lopez fought his last bout in the 154lb division against Saul Alvarez, but he is planning a return to either 140 or 147lbs for his next fight. “I’ll be back in the ring boxing in March in the 140 (or) 147 (lb.) division. No name or date yet,” Lopez announced.