Sometimes it is hard when you have a busy day to keep up to date with what is going on in the boxing world, so we will highlight the main stories from around the world for you to have a browse and keep up to date.
Read on for today’s most notable headlines.
HEARN TO MAKE ANNOUNCEMENT ON MONDAY
Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport will make an announcement on Monday (October 22nd) with details of his upcoming card on December 8th at the Olympia in London. Lee Purdy takes on Carson Jones in what should be an entertaining battle, Gavin Rees will be fighting a domestic rival and Darren Barker returns to the ring after a long lay-off through injury. Middleweight prospect John Ryder also features on the bill, as does English light-middleweight champion Erick Ochieng. Opponents for all fighters will be announced on Monday.
SAUNDERS AIMING FOR AN EASY NIGHTS WORK
Billy Joe Saunders fights Nick Blackwell for the vacant British middleweight title on December 15th, and the 2008 Olympian is aiming to make it a short nights work. “This year has been the best of my career so far and I’m ending it with another devastating performance at the Excel,” said Saunders. Should Saunders emerge victorious, he is hoping to secure a shot at the European title next year. “Hill went in a round, Fletcher in two, so I’m going for Blackwell in three to win the British title and keep hold of my Commonwealth belt before looking at the European title for the treble next year.,” Saunders concluded.
WARREN SAYS GROVES-JOHNSON IS A DONE DEAL
According to Frank Warren, the George Groves vs. Glen Johnson fight is a done deal. Johnson, a former light heavyweight champion, had said yesterday the fight wasn’t finalised yet, but Frank Warren says different. “It’s a done deal,” Frank Warren’s office told Boxing Scene in a short-but-sweet statement.
PRICE DEFENDS SKELTON BOUT
British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price has defended his December 8 bout against veteran Matt Skelton. After disposing of Audley Harrison in a round last weekend, fans are notably a bit disappointed with this fight and would much prefer Price to step up in his level of opposition. But Price believes it is a good fight for him. “I’m aware he’s 45 but he’s a former British and European champion and fought for a world title. I’m still learning,” Price told World Boxing News. “People want to see me against better opposition but that will come. Whether that turns out to be against Tyson Fury, time will tell.”
FROCH WANTS REMATCHES WITH KESSLER AND WARD
IBF world super-middleweight champion Carl Froch has said he wants a rematch with Mikkel Kessler, and then Andre Ward – after his rematch with Lucian Bute which is set to take place early next year. On fighting Kessler again, Froch said: “It’s a big fight, it’s exciting. He’s got a win against me, albeit a very close, controversial decision away from home. That’s something I want to avenge. In a fight with Kessler the fans know they are guaranteed excitement.” On a rematch with Andre Ward, he said: “One thing’s for sure, if I can get the fight with Andre Ward it would be a massive fight and that would secure my legacy. I think I can win the fight, I really do, but let’s get it in England. I went over to the USA to fight him, let’s get him over here.” (Source – Sky Sports News)
KATSIDIS TO CAMPAIGN AT 135, WOULD LIKE HATTON FIGHT
Michael Katsidis, who had recently moved up to the light-welterweight division, has decided to drop back down to lightweight and pursue his third world title in that weight class. “I am only 32 years old and was having trouble gaining the bulk required to move up weight divisions,” Katsidis explained to World Boxing News. “It’s clear I will be chasing that third world title in the 135lb division.” Katsidis, who was rumoured to be a potential opponent for Ricky Hatton’s return to the ring in November, has admitted he would like to face ‘The Hitman.’ “With my exciting style and never say die attitude a fight with Hatton is one the fans want to see as our styles match up really well and we both know the other is very dangerous,” he said.
CANELO WANTS MARTINEZ
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will return to the ring next year on May 4th. He has told his promoters that he wants to fight current WBC world middleweight champion, Sergio Martinez. “We had a meeting with people of Golden Boy Promotions and we agreed that our next fight is on May 4. The first option is Maravilla Martinez,” Alvarez told Boxing Scene.
MARES LOOKING FORWARD TO MORENO FIGHT
Abner Mares is looking forward to what may turn out to be the toughest test of his career on November 10th when he takes on Anselmo Moreno. Mares, though, believes he will rise to the occasion and retain his WBC title. “On paper it looks like the toughest fight of my career. Now, sometimes the fights that are seen as the most difficult are the easiest, but yes, the fight against Moreno is the most complicated – because of his style, he is very defensive, he is a very elusive fighter,” Mares explained to Boxing Scene. “He is a good fighter, but he is not invincible. He has flaws and he is not perfect. We know how to beat him and how to hurt him.”