This weekend doesn’t have any big British names in action. That’s the bad news. The good news is that there’s still a fair amount of professional boxing to keep fans of the sweet science happy.
Adrien ‘the Problem’ Broner is the marquee performer this weekend. He’s featured in his last boxing match as a super featherweight, before he moves up to 135lbs. It’ll be shown on both BoxNation and HBO. Broner isn’t the only super featherweight on this weekend. ESPN’s got once defeated Juan Carlos Burgos facing the undefeated Cesar Vazquez. Telefutura aren’t being left out either, as they’ve got their own super featherweight clashes. We’ve also got an undefeated lightweight and welterweight on display this weekend, as well as some promising light welters.
Read on for the full ‘Weekend in Boxing.’
As always, this is some of what’s being televised and what I’ll try my best to watch.
FRIDAY 20th JULY:
ESPN2/ESPN3– ‘Friday Night Fights’ – 9.00 p.m. ET/ 02.00 GMT.
Juan Carlos ‘Miniburgos’ Burgos (29-1-0) vs. Cesar ‘Saba’ Vazquez (25-0-0). Super featherweights, 10 rounds.
- Even though Vazquez has the ‘0,’ Burgos has arguably (clearly?) faced the better opposition. Both boxers have an almost identical K.O percentage, so what’s going to give one of them the upper hand?
Aaron Martinez (17-1-1) vs. Prenice ‘Greatness’ Brewer (16-2-1). Welterweights, 8 rounds
- Aaron Martinez’ only loss was in 2008, while Brewer has lost two of his last three. Both boxers should be fully motivated. Martinez wants to keep the momentum going and Brewer wants to get things back on track.
Showtime – 11 p.m. ET / 03.00 GMT.
Art Hovhannisyan (14-0-2) vs. Miguel Acosta (29-5-2). Lightweights, 10 rounds.
- Hovhannisyan’s undefeated, but Acosta’s last few opponents have been more noteworthy. Acosta’s faced Richard Abril and Brandon Rios in the past 18 months. He lost by decision to Abril and by TKO in the 10th round to Rios. This should be a nice challenge for the slightly younger and less ring tested Hovhannisyan.
SATURDAY 21st JULY:
HBO/BoxNation – 10 p.m ET / 02.00 GMT.
Adrien ‘the Problem’ Broner (23-0-0) vs. Vicente Escobedo (26-3-0). Super featherweights, 12 rounds.
- This will be Broner’s last bout at super featherweight (unless he loses and asks for a rematch). Broner’s the clear favourite going into this because of his terrific boxing ability and gaudy record, which includes a K.O rate of 82%. Nonetheless, Escobedo’s won four out of his last 5, has never been knocked out and is a former Olympian. Apart from a loss in 2006, he’s only lost to Robert Guerrero and a Michael Katsidis of three years ago. This is being held in ‘the Problem’s’ home town of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman (17-0-0) vs. Orlando ‘LatigoLora (29-2-2). Welterweights, 10 rounds.
- The undefeated Thurman’s alternated between light middleweight and welterweight. Lora’s also spent some time in both divisions. Apart from losing a decision to Paulie Malignaggi, Lora seems to have faced less daunting challenges than the one that Thurman hopes to present.
Telefutura – Solo Boxeo – 11 p.m. EST / 04.00 GMT
Argenis Mendez (19-2-0) vs. Martin ‘el Brochas’ Honorio (32-7-1). Super featherweights, 10 rounds.
- Mendez won their first bout in 2010 by mixed decision. Honorio’s won three of his last five matches, with his most recent loss being a mixed decision loss to the well regarded Juan Carlos Salgado. A Mendez victory in convincing fashion should definitely raise his profile in an interesting division. I’m sure that he wouldn’t mind it at all if he was able to duplicate the scintillating performance of his countryman and fellow super featherweight (Javier Fortuna).
FOX Deportes / Fox Sports Net – 10 p.m / 03.00 GMT
Johan ‘el Terrible’ Perez (15-0-1) vs. Pablo Cesar ‘El Domelador’ Cano (24-1-1). Light welterweight, 12 rounds.
- Cano’s only other loss was to the other ‘el Terrible’ (Erik Morales) in 2011 and that went the distance. Perez is undefeated, but Cano’s arguably his best opponent to date.
LIKE US www.facebook.com/fighthypeukblog
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/@FIGHTHYPE_UK_SS
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/@C_N_Hesse