Not as many high profile boxing matches this weekend, but there’s still a lot of good stuff for fight fans. BoxNation will be showing some of HBO’s ‘Boxing After Dark,’ but not all of it. Thomas Dulorme vs. Luis Carlos Abregu and Karim Mayfield vs. Mauricio Herrera will be on HBO. BoxNation and HBO will both televise the other bout on that bill, which is Miguel Vasquez vs. Marvin Quintero. Brooklyn’s in the house again with a PPV broadcast of the match from the Aviator Arena featuring BedStuy’s own Olympian, Saddam Ali, vs. Ronnie Warrior Jr. (replacing Jermaine White). WealthTV was supposed to have shown Ghanaian light welterweight, Samuel Kotey Neequaye on the Frank Lawrence vs. Dominic Guinn undercard but that bill was unfortunately cancelled. If you have access to Azteca America then you’ll be able to watch Alejandro Lopez vs. Takalani Ndlovu. ‘Solo Boxeo Tecate’ has Rocky Juarez vs. Antonio Escalante and Julian Ramirez vs. Steven Gutierrez. SuperSport ends the weekend with Minyakhe Sityatha vs. Evans Mbamba from South Africa. Fox Deportes is host to Sergio Thompson vs. Luis Armando Juarez and Roberto Ortiz vs. Jhean Carlo Aparicio (UPDATE – the MLB Playoffs are being shown instead. The boxing might be shown afterwards).
Read on for the full ‘Weekend in Boxing.’
As always, this is some of what’s being televised and what I’ll try my best to watch.
SATURDAY 27TH OCTOBER (SUNDAY 28TH IN THE UK & the clocks go back):
inDemand PPV – 9:00 p.m ET / 02:00 GMT
Sadam ‘World Kid’ Ali (15-0-0) vs. Ronnie ‘the Natural’ Warrior Jr. (13-7-1). Welterweights, 12 rounds.
- Saddam Ali’s taking on a veteran opponent in Ronnie Warrior Jr. Ali’s got some buzz going for him and obviously wants to increase the volume by dispatching Warrior Jr. in style. A victory for Ali isn’t a foregone conclusion but Warrior Jr.’s a late replacement, which usually isn’t a good sign for the replacement.
HBO – 10:15 p.m. ET / 02:15 GMT
Thomas Dulorme (16-0-0) vs. Luis Carlos ‘el Potro’ Abregu (33-1-0). Welterweights, 12 rounds.
- Thomas Dulorme, to me, is the most interesting young boxer currently boxing under the Puerto Rican flag. The question is whether the veteran Luis Carlos Abregu will be too much for the youngster. Both Dulorme and Abregu are boxers with high K.O percentages so this could be a cracker.
Karim ‘Hard Hitta’ Mayfield (16-0-0) vs. Mauricio Herrera (18-2-0). Light welterweights, 12 rounds.
- Karim Mayfield is undefeated but Mauricio Herrera’s never been stopped. Signs indicate that this should be a well contested affair.
BoxNation / HBO – 10:15 p.m. ET / 02:15 GMT – the clocks will go back in the U.K
Miguel ‘Titere’ Vasquez (31-3-0) vs. Marvin ‘Cachorro’ Quintero (25-3-0). Lightweights, 12 rounds.
- Miguel Vazquez’ three losses went the distance whereas Marvin Quintero was stopped in all three of his. In addition, Vazquez’ losses were to Timothy Bradley and Saul Alvarez (twice). Vazquez might also have too much power for Quintero. All questions will be answered once they step in the ring. BoxNation’s site has some thoughts re. the possible ramifications for the winner of this one.
Azteca America – 10:00 p.m. ET / 03:00 GMT
Alejandro Lopez (23-2-0) vs. Takalani ‘Panther’ Ndlovu (33-7-0). Super bantamweights, 12 rounds.
-Alejandro Lopez faces a capable veteran in Takalani Ndlovu. Lopez’ has enough experience and youth to make this a tall order for the older Ndlovu.
Fox Deportes -10:00 p.m. ET / 03:00 GMT (UPDATE – the MLB playoffs are being shown instead. The boxing might be shown afterwards).
Sergio ‘Yeyo’ Thompson (24-2-0) vs. Luis Armando Juarez (16-5-2). Super featherweights, 12 rounds.
- Sergio Thompson is described by Golden Boy Promotions as “…turning into one of the most feared knockout artists to emerge from Mexico in years.” An 84% K.O rate would support that claim. Luis Armando Juarez started his professional career later than Thompson and even though he has 5 losses, they all went the distance. Might this be Juarez’ first stoppage loss, or will he surprise most and win?
Roberto ‘Massa’ Ortiz (26-0-1) vs. Jhean Carlo ‘Sireno’ Aparicio (24-4-0). Light welterweights, 12 rounds.
- Roberto Ortiz also boasts a high K.O percentage and is undefeated. Jhean Carlo Aparicio is a good opponent, but definitely the underdog. Whoever wins this one will take one more step towards a bout with a top 140lb. name.
Telefutura’s ‘Solo Boxeo Tecate’ – 12:00 a.m. ET / 05:00 GMT
Antonio Escalante (28-4-0) vs. Rocky Juarez (28-10-1). Super featherweights, 10 rounds.
- Antonio Escalante vs. Rocky Juarez is described by GBP as “a potential fight of the year candidate.” Juarez has lost a string of bouts but has faced several quality opponents. Escalante has been enjoying victory but has arguably faced the lesser opposition.
SuperSport –8:00 a.m ET / 13:00 GMT
Minyakhe Sityatha (14-2-0) vs. Evans Mbamba (18-2-0). Super flyweights, 12 rounds.
- Minyakhe Sityatha is the younger belt holder and has his hands full against the more experienced Evans Mbamba. Mbamba went the distance against a quality opponent, Vic Darchinyan, in his prior outing. Sityatha has been more active than Mbamba with their respective last bouts being in May of 2012 and September of 2011.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/@FIGHTHYPE_UK_SS
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/@C_N_Hesse
LIKE US www.facebook.com/fighthypeukblog