Telemundo kicks things off on Friday with Julian Rivera vs. Edgar Jimenez in a rematch of their gritty encounter from July. No surprise as Saturday’s the main viewing day of the weekend. BoxNation/Epix is all about the heavyweights – Alexander Povetkin vs. Hasim Rahman and Kubrat Pulev vs. Alexander Ustinov. HBO’s got well regarded prospects and a respected veteran with Edwin Rodriguez vs. Jason Escalera, Luis Orlando Del Valle vs. Vic Darchinyan and Alex Perez vs. Antonin Decar (apparently Isaac Chilemba’s bout won’t be televised). Telefutura’s ‘Solo Boxeo Tecate’ features Julio Diaz vs. Hector Sanchez and Fox Deportes’ ‘Golden Boy Promotions’ series includes Omar Estrella facing Robinson Castellanos. GoFightLive.tv also has boxing on Friday and Saturday.
Read on for the full ‘Weekend in Boxing.’
As always, this is some of what’s being televised and what I’ll try my best to watch.
FRIDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER:
Telemundo – 11:30 p.m ET / 04:30 GMT
Julian ‘Chicano’ Rivera (12-6-0) vs. Edgar ‘Power’ Jimenez (15-7-1). Flyweights, 12 rounds.
- This is part two, with Julian Rivera having won the first one by split decision. It’s been a bit more than two months since then and the expectation is for more of the same. Lots of leather will be thrown but each guy’s limitations will also be on display.
SATURDAY 22nd SEPTEMBER:
BoxNation – 19:30GMT / 02:30 p.m. ET EPIX – 4:30 p.m ET
Alexander ‘Russian Knight’ Povetkin (24-0-0) vs. Hasim ‘the Rock’ Rahman’ (50-7-2). Heavyweights, 12 rounds.
- Does Alexander Povetkin have too much for Hasim Rahman at this stage of his career? He more than likely does. Rahman’s promised a K.O but Povetkin’s former trainer, Teddy Atlas, said that Povetkin won’t be the one getting knocked out. I’ve got to agree with Teddy.
Kubrat ‘the Cobra’ Pulev (16-0-0) vs. Alexander Ustinov (27-0-0). Heavyweights, 12 rounds.
- Kubrat Pulev and Alexander Ustinov both have ‘0’s to lose. This is one of, if not, the sternest test that either guy has faced.
HBO- 9:30 p.m. ET / 02:30 GMT
Edwin ‘la Bomba’ Rodriguez (21-0-0) vs. Jason ‘Monstruo’ Escalera (13-0-1). Super middleweights, 12 rounds.
- Edwin Rodriguez could have a bright career ahead of him and is the one that most will be paying attention to. Jason Escalera is a solid young, undefeated opponent. Escalera who has an 85% K.O percentage will be looking to show that Rodriguez isn’t the only one to watch.
Luis Orlando ‘Orlandito’ Del Valle (16-0-0) vs. Vic ‘the Raging Bull’ Darchinyan (37-5-1). Super bantamweight, 12 rounds.
- Luis Orlando Del Valle is stepping into the ring with quality opposition when he faces the veteran, Vic Darchinyan. This should be a competitive one, but there is the possibility that Darchinyan’s higher calibre
Antonin Decarie (26-1-0) vs. Alex Perez (16-0-0). Welterweights, 12 rounds.
- Antonin Decarie’s a a few months younger than Alex Perez but has more professional ring experience. Decarie should be able to give Perez his first loss, but it looks as if it could go either way.
Fox Deportes ‘Golden Boy Promotions’ – 11:00 p.m. ET / 04:00 GMT
Robinson ‘Robin Hood’ Castellanos (15-9-0) vs. Omar ‘Dinamita’ Estrella (16-4-2). Featherweights, 12 rounds.
- Even though Robinson Castellanos has 9 losses, none of them were recently. Omar Estrella was doing relatively well against unspectacular opposition until losing to Daniel Ponce De Leon in January of this year.
Telefutura’s ‘Solo Boxeo Tecate’ – 12:00 a.m. ET / 05:00 GMT
Julio ‘the Kidd’ Diaz (39-7-0) vs. Hector Sanchez (19-2-0). Welterweights, 10 rounds.
- Hector Sanchez is the younger boxer with less ring mileage, but Julio Diaz obviously has more experience, In addition to that Diaz has faced bigger names, but he fell short in most of those encounters.
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/@FIGHTHYPE_UK_SS
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: www.twitter.com/@C_N_Hesse
LIKE US www.facebook.com/fighthypeukblog